How it works
Our normal skin flora contains billions of bacteria, of which the vast majority protects our skin. A good bacterial balance is necessary to maintain a healthy skin environment. Disruption of this balance can lead to, or aggravate, skin conditions.
No other bacterium causes more skin infections than Staphylococcus aureus. This bacterium is often found on the skin of people and animals. It can lead to:
- serious (internal) infections;
- inflammation of the skin, where it contributes to skin conditions such as acne, eczema, rosacea and skin irritation.
Staphylococcus aureus on human skin
A natural and healthy immune system can help keep these bacteria under control. In many cases, carrying S. aureus does not result in any problems. However, if a person's immune system is weakened, or if the skin is damaged or disrupted, S. aureus can cause infections. This can result in:
- itch and redness of the skin leading to irritation;
- a burning and stinging sensation;
- spots, pimples, pustules and bumps.
These symptoms can be characteristic for acne, eczema, rosacea and skin irritation.
Traditional skin products and antibiotics do not differentiate between good and bad bacteria, and therefore also remove the beneficial bacteria that protect us. Gladskin contains Staphefekt™. This is:
- the first and only product in the world that targets just the unwanted, harmful Staphylococcus aureus bacteria, whilst retaining the beneficial bacteria;
- an enzyme that is completely safe to use;
- a targeted and elegant approach for people with certain skin conditions which can prevent and reduce the use of other aggressive products;
- suitable for prolonged use.
Staphefekt™ is an enzyme, also known as an endolysin. Endolysins are naturally produced by bacteriophages (phages). Phages are the natural enemy of bacteria and kill approximately half of all living bacteria every two days. Phages kill bacteria with the help of these endolysins, which break down the bacterial cell wall so that the bacterium dies. This can be compared to placing a drop of solvent on an inflated balloon: the rubber of the balloon will dissolve and the balloon pops.
Along with the evolution of phages and bacteria, phage enzymes have developed over billions of years. As a result, enzymes have been created that kill only one strain of bacteria. The 'target bacteria' neither have the possibility nor the time to develop resistance against the enzymes because:
- The enzymes attack their target bacteria at specific points in the bacterial cell wall, which cannot, or hardly, be mutated by the bacterium. This unique property of Staphefekt™ differentiates Gladskin from all other anti-bacterial products.
- The enzymes work extremely quickly: Staphefekt™ kills the S. aureus bacteria on the skin surface in minutes, or even seconds.
- Unlike conventional antibiotics, phage enzymes cause bacterial cell death regardless of the metabolism of the target cell, further reducing the chance of bacterial resistance.
Staphefekt™ kills both the S. aureus bacteria that are sensitive to antibiotics and the strains that are resistant to antibiotics.
That is why we offer a unique solution in the fight against unwanted, harmful skin bacteria. With this approach, skin infections can be prevented or diminished, offering relief to many people with acne, eczema, rosacea and general skin irritation.
More information: www.staphefekt.com